Kasuga Wakamiya On-Matsuri in Nara Park

A few weeks back I finally had the chance to attend the On-Matsuri event here in Nara. I have been wanting to go see it for several years now, but somehow end up always being busy during the same weekend as the event. I was even more stoked to go this year as I had recently gone to see an Irie Taikichi photo exhibit which was about this same event.

For those not familiar, the On-Matsuri is a festival held at Wakamiya-jinja Shrine which is located close to Kasuga Taisha Grand Shrine in Nara Park. It was first organized in the 12th Century when an epidemic prevailed, and prayers were offered at this festival for the eradication of the plague and also for the blessing of a rich harvest. This event still continues to be held every year and is one of the largest events in all of Nara Prefecture. Needless to say it attracts tons of tourists there to see the Owatari , a long procession of priests and warriors clad in armor. I was fortunate enough this time that I was in the right place at the right time so I was able to see some of the main rituals and take a few photos as well. 













































































































































































Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts