An Afternoon visit to Omiwa Shrine in Sakurai

Omiwa Shrine (which is also known as Miwa shrine) is located just south of Nara city in the city of Sakurai. The shrine is very unique as it doesn’t contain a deity or any sacred objects inside, but rather it is said that the very mountain it sits on (Mount Miwa) is sacred.  

I have passed through there before on my bike while riding to Asuka, but never visited the shrine. As a result I decided finally to take the train down and spend an afternoon there to see what I have been missing. Of course….I brought my camera along!











The "local" train






Omiyage shops selling Miwa Somen..are everywhere






Sake bottles with the Borromean ring motif






small fresh produce market






food vendors setting up along the path to the shrine






Torii gate at the entrance

























Main Hall at Miwa Shrine





















































Mount Miwa







view of the massive Torii gate in Sakurai



















small restaurant along the path...tempting, but.....






We opted for here instead, and I am glad we did!






The Miwa Sōmen lunch I ate was ...SO GOOD!





and even better the tea was served in real Nara Akahada Pottery!






Time to leave






Comments

Popular Posts